- What should you send?
Whole carcasses, formalin-fixed and fresh tissues can be submitted.
- What do you need to send with a sample?
Please use the sample submission forms on this page to provide me with your contact details and important information regarding your case.
- How should you send them?
Fresh tissues and carcasses should be sent on ice or with ice-blocks; fixed tissues should be sent in 10% buffered formalin (available on request).
NB NEVER FREEZE CARCASSES OR TISSUES if histopathological examination is required.
- What is the best way to send samples?
1) For samples to be sent on Mon-Thursday, use the same day service offered by the Postal Service, but deliver it to me c/o Pathology Section, Faculty of Veterinary Science, P/Bag X04, 1 Soutpan Rd, Onderstepoort 0110
2) for urgent samples, or samples that must be delivered over the weekend (to avoid them sitting out of the fridge over the weekend): contact MedEx: Renee Usher or Norman Bell or 0861 89 88 98 (24 hour line)
3) Courier services are available within South Africa - contact me for details, download the form from this page for DuBuisson.
Submission Form (all samples)
(MS Word document, 85KB)
(Adobe Acrobat document (pdf), 46KB)
Please note: If you use the Du Buisson service it is free, but samples should be obviously marked URGENT.